I made this at Thanksgiving this year and it was a hit…..Everyone by-passed the pumpkin pie and went straight for the Skillet Apple pie……….Great by itself or with Vanilla Ice cream!!!
Apple Pie – Cast Iron Skillet recipe
Author: easy to make recipes
Recipe type: pie
- • 2 refrigerated pie crusts
- • 4 tbsp. butter
- • ½ cup brown sugar
- • 5 large granny smith apples, cored, peeled and sliced thin
- • 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- • ½ cup sugar
- • ¼ cup cornstarch
- • ½ tsp. salt
- • 1 tsp. cinnamon
- • ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- • 1 small jar caramel topping
- • 1 Egg White for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a 10” cast iron skillet over low to medium heat. Whisk in brown sugar and remove from heat when melted.
- Toss apples in lemon juice then add sugar, cornstarch, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Make sure all apples are coated well.
- Line the cast iron skillet with one refrigerated pie crust to completely cover the inside of the skillet. Load about ½ of the apples into the bottom of the crust. Pour ½ of the caramel sauce over the apples. Top with the rest of the apples and pour remaining caramel sauce on top.
- Create lattice topping. Roll out the second pie crust on a lightly floured surface to be slightly larger than the skillet. Cut into about 8-10 inch strips. Lay every other strip horizontally over the pie. Carefully fold back every other strip halfway. Lay one of the remaining strips perpendicular to the strips in the middle. Unfold folded strips back over the perpendicular strip. Fold back the horizontal pieces you didn’t use. Lay another perpendicular strip across the pie. Repeat process until all the strips are used. Trim excess crust and crimp the edges. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle top with cinnamon.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let cool to room temperature. Great with vanilla ice cream!