Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe
Author: Easy To Make Recipes
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus pinch of salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons chilled shortening
- 3 tablespoons chilled butter, unsalted
- ⅓ cup plus ½ teaspoon of lemon juice, divided
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 ½ cups sugar, plus 8 tablespoons, divided
- ¾ cups of cornstarch
- 2 ½ cups water
- ¼ cup of milk
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¾ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Combine flour and ½ teaspoon of salt in med. size bowl. Using a pastry blender or fork, cut in chilled shortening and butter until mixture looks like crumbs. Add ½ teaspoon lemon juice. Add 4 tablespoons of ice water. Tossing, using a fork until crumbs are moistened. Roll dough into a ball and wrap with plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll chilled dough into a 12 inch circle. Transfer to pie plate. Cook for 15 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees. In a large saucepan, combine 1 ½ cups of sugar, cornstarch, and pinch of salt. Stir in 2½ cups of water and milk. Cook on medium for about 8 minutes. Stir constantly until thick.
- In med. bowl beat egg yolks. Stir in ¼ of the hot milk mixture into beaten egg yolks. Pour egg yolks into hot milk mixture. Stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lemon zest and remaining ⅓ cup of lemon juice. Stir in 2 tablespoons of butter until melted. Pour into cooled pie crust.
- In med. bowl combine eggs whites and cream of tartar. Beat on high with electric mixer until foamy. Add remaining 8 tablespoons of sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over filling.
- Bake until meringue is lightly brown. About 8 minutes. Let cool on wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for 3 hours before serving.