- ¼ cup of milk (you can use low fat milk)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 cups mascarpone cheese (Italian cream cheese)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (you can use ⅓ less fat)
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 20 to 24 lady fingers
- 2 cups of cold strong coffee
- 3 teaspoons cocoa powder
- In medium sauce pan fill halfway with water and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat so that the water is simmering. Whisk the egg yolks, milk and sugar together in a metal bowl and place the bowl on top of the saucepan. (If you have a double boiler you can use it for this step). Stir the mixture often for about ten minutes. The sugar should be dissolved and also thicker. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Mix Mascarpone cheese, cream cheese and vanilla extract in a large bowl until creamy.
- Add egg yolk mixture to the cheese mixture and mix together.
- Pour coffee into a plate. Touch the bottom of each lady finger in the coffee. Only soak the bottom of the lady finger. Make a layer of coffee soaked lady fingers in desired serving dish. Place cheese mixture over the lady fingers, then add another layer of coffee soaked lady fingers on top of the cheese mixture and add the rest of the cheese mixture on top.
- Top with cocoa powder and chill for several hours.